Monday 5 May 2014

Happy Bank Holiday!

I hope everyone is enjoying the extra day off work. I've been signed off work for what feels like forever so I'm just appreciating getting to spend an extra day with Dave. We've spent a lot of time with my parents this week with my sister being ill so its been nice today to just have the day with the two of us. (This was written at 13:00, by 16:00 it had somehow been decided that my parents were coming to ours for dinner and I ended up cooking for four?!?)

I thought today I would post the first pattern I came up with...kind of. I don't really class it as a proper pattern because its very basic but it's one of the first things I started making when I picked up Amigurumi.

Its a pattern for a little octopus with springy dangly legs. The picture below is the octopus I made for Dave a while ago  he's called Steve and sits on his phone at work. After he took it in I then had requests off 2 of his work friends for their own octopi (octopuses?)

I use a 3.5mm (E) hook for most of my amigurumi unless is states otherwise

Head/Body
Round 1    6sc in a magic circle (6)
Round 2    increase around (12)
Round 3    (increase, sc) x6 (18)
Round 4    (increase, 2sc) x6 (24)
Round 5    (increase, 3sc) x6 (30)
Round 6-9 sc around (30)
Round 10  (decrease, 3sc) x6 (24)
Round 11  (decrease, 2sc) x6 (18)
Round 12  (decrease, sc) x6 (12)
Round 13  decrease to close

Before finishing I added safety eyes and a crescent of felt for a mouth before stuffing. I usually add the stuffing after finishing round 10

Legs - Make 8 (I know 8 is a lot and by number 5 you will hate them but they look so good in the end!
Chain 21
Then starting in second chain from hook sc 3 times in each chain until the end. This will make the chain spiral like in the picture. You might have to re-curl it once finished if you get a kink but once you do it, it will stay in place. Then just sew them on to the bottom of the body and find a place to pop your new octopus. I find they look especially good if you can find somewhere where their legs can dangle.

This octopus is only very little but its very easy to make bigger. It's a lovely project for someone who is new to amigurumi and wants to make something that looks good without to many confusing instructions.

Hope you all enjoy this pattern and I would love to see some photos if anyone makes their own.

Please do not sell this pattern or any octopus made from it. Please also do  not copy this pattern onto your own site. Thanks


2 comments:

  1. Oh he's just so happy looking! How cute

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOW adorable! Congratulations on posting your first 'we will call it a' pattern :) it doesn't matter that it is simple it looks so effective! I bet you are dead chuffed. I love crochet, though I haven't been doing it for as long as you (read your first BEDM post)! Do you knit at all too?
    I hope you post some more cute patterns :):)

    jenny xx
    prettycolumn.blogspot.co.uk - also in BEDM

    ReplyDelete